by Renee Lindstrom, GCFP – Living in Natures Love Lifestyles @insideawareness.com
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” Hippocrates
Fire Cider is part food and part medicine used to boost one’s immune system during cold and flu season, and improves gut digestion and circulation. It can be taken daily in small doses as a preemptive or as a first aid with oncoming symptoms.
The fiery ingredients of fire cider are nutritious, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, congestion clearing and it adds heat! It’s main ingredients are apple cider vinegar, horseradish, ginger, garlic, lemon and oranges. Honey can be added before taking brew orally. This recipe was named Fire Cider and made popular by Author Rosemary Gladstar of the California School of Herbal Studies in the 1980’s, however, early oxymel herbal remedies date back century’s. Oxymel translates to acid (vinegar) and honey and was formulated to make unpleasant herbal remedies more palatable.
Ingredients: (1 gallon jar)
- 1 cup fresh chopped horseradish
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped ginger
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped turmeric
- 1/4 cup fresh minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh minced white onion
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper
- 2 whole oranges sliced thin (wash well before using)
- 1 whole lemon sliced thin (wash well before using)
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 large sprig fresh thyme chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorn
- Raw apple cider vinegar to cover ingredients in a 1 gallon jar
- Layer raw ingredients in jar until 3/4’s full. If using smaller jar cut ingredients down to size dividing difference in jars.
- Add a glass weight to hold ingredients under the liquid level.
- Pour raw apple cider vinegar over to fill jar leaving 1/4 inch at top. (Raw apple cider vinegar may have strands of fine fibrous material. This is healthy and not unsafe to consume.)
- Cover with lid and set jar aside for 30 days. If using metal lid cover it with parchment paper before covering jar to stop it from rusting. I use inexpensive lids designed for easy fermenting that has made fermenting fun and simple.
- Jostle jar of raw ingredients each day.
- After 30 days filter raw ingredients out of liquid and pour liquid into easy bottle for pouring daily doses or taking by tablespoon.
Shelf Life of Fire Cider
This brew is a fermented pro-biotic that can last 18 months. Keep refrigerated once opened.
Recommended ways of taking Fire Cider:
Fire Cider brew can be taken in 1 oz. shots usually first thing in the morning or added to hot water and honey for a tea. It can also be taken by spoon, teaspoon or tablespoon each day. If run down or feeling cold or flu-like take a couple of tablespoons (1 oz.) 3 to 4 times a day spread out.
More on Fermented Living Foods: Fermented Salsa, Fermented Kimchi, Fermented Sauerkraut
Follow Fermenting news on Twitter, Instagram Pinterest or Facebook
Recommended equipment to make fermenting fun and easy:
- Easy Fermenter Wide Mouth Lid Kit: Simplified Fermenting In Jars Not Crock Pots! Make Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Pickles Or Any Fermented Probiotic Foods. 3 Lids, Extractor Pump & Recipe eBook – Mold Free
- 4-Pack of Fermentation Glass Weights with Easy Grip Handle for Wide Mouth Mason Jar
Please note that integrative treatments are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease and is not a substitute for medical care. Please consult an appropriate health care practitioner about any medical concerns that you have